SECOND EDITION :: 2 0 1 8 :: FEBRUARY 16,17,18
ADDIS ABABA :: ETHIOPIA
APPLY NOW :: SELECTION FOR THE 2nd FESTIVAL EDITION HAS BEGUN.
DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 15th, 2017
Being an African circus team
A professional show of no longer than 30 minutes
Running activities in your own country (performing, providing trainings, workshops, etc.)
Committed to spreading the passion of circus arts
Willingness to exchange your skills and knowledge with other circus teams
|Performance||February 16,17,18||Open to the public|
|Sharing skills workshops||February 14 & 15||Open to circus artists and experts|
|Conference||February 15 & 16||Open to circus experts (Upon invitation)
TO BE DISCLOSED
In 2015, Fekat Circus organised the First African Circus Festival. The Festival was a unique event because for the first time 107 African circus artists met and performed on an African stage. Eight social circuses had been selected: ActionArte (South Africa), L’Aléa des possibles (Madagascar), Circus Zambia (Zambia), Debre Berhan Circus (Ethiopia), Fekat Circus (Ethiopia), Red Tomato (Egypt), Sencirk (Senegal).
This was made possible thanks to the trust and support given by UNESCO’s International Fund for the Promotion of Culture, the Prince Claus Fund, Fondazione Alta Mane and a few others. The Festival was attended by over 12,000 people from all social classes, from ambassadors to street children, over three days of exhilarating performances in a public space in the heart of the Ethiopian capital, with no entrance fee attached. Following the Festival, two days workshops and meetings were held to further stimulate and promote exchanges among the artists and among the managers.
The African Circus Arts Festival aims at:
• Drawing attention to the circus arts in Africa;
• Empowering young African circus performers so that they can maintain their impact in their communities;
• Promoting cultural exchanges among circus companies within the African continent;
• Stimulating the development of a circus market within Africa.
The second edition of the African Circus Arts Festival will take place in 16, 17, and 18 of February, 2018 in Ethiopia, thanks to the support of the European Commission.
What does the Festival offer?
• A large audience (12,000 people in 2015)
• The opportunity to perform on the main African circus stage
• Meeting over 100 circus performers from all over the continent
• Sharing experiences and learning from other circuses
• Connecting with international experts from the circus sector over a two-day meeting
• Visibility for your circus through the Festival’s communication media and actions (website, social media, media)
• The Festival will cover all the travel expenses (including flight tickets, travel insurance, visa fees, accommodation, food and drinks)
• We are sorry the Festival will not be able to provide fees for the performing teams.
The African Circus Arts Festival hopes to move all over the continent in the years to come.
Dereje Dange :: Fekat Circus President ::
+251 (0)943 29 60 89
downloadable application form
SPONSORS & VENDORS
downloadable sponsors benefits
Hanna Haile :: communication officer ::
+251 (0)921 56 23 92
downloadable media kit
downloadable press release
downloadable 2015 Festival Overview